23. May 2013 10:37
St. Croix Pirate Adventure Celebrates the Golden Age of Sail and Seafaring Adventure
It’s not too late for a last minute Memorial Day Weekend getaway to St Croix – and come join us for the 1st Annual St. Croix Pirate Adventure, a three day extravaganza of pirates, activities, and festivities in paradise during the weekend of Memorial Day. The Adventure plans to capture the mystique and excitement of the glorious days of privateers, wreckers, buccaneers and corsairs, including a tribute to the infamous Caribbean pirate, Roberto Cofresí, a.k.a. “El Pirata Cofresí.” A host of pirate escapades will be featured for both children and adults, including many special events at historic venues throughout the island
Friday May 24th:
- Paddle Fit Level 1 Certification Course ~ Freedom City Surf at 8:30 a.m.
- Pirate Festival Kick-Off ~ Diageo Visitor Center from 6:00- 8:00 p.m.
- “That First Glide” Movie Presentation ~ Captain Morgan Theater at 6:30 p.m.
Saturday May 25th:
- Paddle Fit Level 2 ~ Freedom City Surf at 8:30 a.m.
- Pirate Invasion ~ Frederiksted Waterfront from 11 a.m.-Noon
- Pirate Mike provides swashbuckling music starting a 11 a.m.
- Pirate’s Luncheon ~ Sand Castle On The Beach from 12:30 p.m.-2:30 p.m.
- Sandcastle Building Contest ~ Sand Castle On The Beach from 12:30 p.m.
- Kids’ Activities Frederiksted from 12:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Costumed Pub Crawl from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. touring Beach Side Café, Blue Moon, Pier 69, Lost Dog, Freedom City Surf and ends at Coconuts
- Axe Throwing Demonstration ~ Coconuts at 6 p.m.
- Costume Awards ~ Coconuts at 7 p.m.
- Full Moon Paddle Launch ~ Freedom City Surf at 7 p.m.
- Full Moon Paddle Party & Fire Ball ~ Freedom City Surf at 8 p.m.
Sunday May 26th:
- Underwater Treasure Hunt ~ Cane Bay Beach at 9 a.m.
- Kayak and Stand-up Paddle Board Races ~ Freedom City Surf at 11 a.m.
- Pirate Trial ~ Fort Frederik Beach at 2 p.m.
- Open Pirate Paddle to Rainbow Beach for Reef Jam
- Grand Pirate Ball ~ Pirate’s Tavern Salt River at 7 p.m.
For more information email email@example.com. For hotel reservations for this fun and exciting event, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800.524.2049.
17. May 2013 12:20
April, May and June are every horse racing enthusiast’s favorite months featuring the Triple Crown series of the Kentucky Derby, Preakness and the Belmont Stakes’ race for the highly coveted Triple Crown. But right here in St. Croix USVI enthusiasts not only enjoy watching these events, they cheer for the local talent that became world-class jockeys.
The Sugar Beach Resort in St. Croix is just a few miles away from the epicenter of action, the Randall “Doc” James Racetrack and fall & winter guest can experience the excitement first hand and be view one of the oldest sporting events in the history of the Caribbean as well as the world. Not to mention see future championship jockeys coming up through the ranks.
This year’s American Triple Crown and St. Croix’s own Kevin Krigger is bringing much recognition to USVI horse racing as well as the entire Caribbean. Krigger and his ride Goldencents ran into every Cruzian’s heart with hopes of winning his first Kentucky Derby but was cheered on to a 17th place finish due to sluggish performance in muddy conditions, not Goldencents’ strong point.
Getting his start a little after Krigger is another great local jockey, Victor Lebron. The underdog at the 2013 Kentucky Derby was not as widely recognized because his ride, Frac Daddy was not as strong of an entry as Goldencents and finished 16th, one place ahead of Krigger.
So two young in St. Croix boys with a love of horses and the sport of racing them are grown up and lining up against each other again for a championship run at the upcoming Preakness and Belmont Stakes. While the world is hoping the Kentucky Derby Winner Orb is successful in winning the elusive Triple Crown, one sure bet on the horses is that throughout the Caribbean the fans will be cheering for Goldencents and Frac Daddy and the Cruzian sons Kevin Krigger and Victor Lebron.
So why not make the Sugar Beach Resort you’re vacation home and enjoy some of the best horse racing in the Caribbean, maybe even see the next Triple Crown winner in the making.
Randall “Doc” James Racetrack